➤ Benannt als: LKW 0,5 t tmil gl

Autor Thema: 1.9TD "AAZ" Conversion  (Gelesen 4249 mal)

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
Re: 1.9TD "AAZ" Conversion
« Antwort #15 am: 08. November 2010, 23:11 »
I thought using a German forum, with German cars and German inhabitants I would be "teaching grandma to suck eggs" (that's an Enlish term for telling you something you already know!)
I have pictured the improtant bits on www.iltis.co.uk but i didn't document much of it as I didn't think anything that I was doing was in any way special, or groundbreaking.
:)
It's just been VW lego, taking the right combination of VW parts and arranging them in the right order to get it to work.
The 1C engine fitted to the Iltis, the VW 1.6TD is very similar of that fitted to Golf2 GTD and Passat3 amongst others, I have used the turbo set up from that.
I have used the AAZ 1.9TD engine from a Golf 3.
I have used the AAZ injection system.
I have used some Audi or other oil filter head.
If I were to do it again I would probably look to use the oil filter head from a Audi 80 with the AAZ as it has the right shaped oil filter head with the oil cooler set up, but finding those in the UK is very difficult.
AAZ engines in the UK command a high price as they are so popular to replace T3 1.6TD "JX" engines that have expired, seems stupid to take a blown engine out and not replace it with something better for the same amount of work.

As for the governor, yes, the speed limiter as such, how is your English?
www.vwdiesel.net has a great wealth of knowlege, plenty of FAQ's about getting the best from your injection pump.
There is a proceedure, the "governer mod" which entails increasing the pre load on the intermediate spring in the governor by use of small washers (3mm from memory) to in effect riase the fuel "map" up the rev range, this will let the engine rev more.
There are also boost and fuelling modifications which are not difficult which really lets these engines fly.
AAZ engines run warm, much warmer than a 1.6TD so they really need oil coolers, an intercooler would be good on an Iltis but it's finding a suitable home for one where it will get good air flow and not get clogged with dirt, for the moment I will not be fitting one.
A EGT gauge (Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge, or Pyrometer if you prefer) is invaluable when messing about with Diesels as it lets you see how mad you have gone! It is a safety blanket!
Add too much fuel and you will raise EGT and you could melt a piston or damage the turbo.
More boost = cooler EGT
More fuel = hotter EGT

Tuning Diesels is all about striking the right balance between power, smoke, economy and EGT.

Offline marc_em-pr183

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #16 am: 10. November 2010, 20:58 »
The oil cooler radiator used for the Iltis is nearly identical with the oil cooler for the gearbox of the Audi TT.
----8<-----

VW183-01 1.9TDi, Bj1982
U404.013, BJ1974

Offline marc_em-pr183

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #17 am: 10. November 2010, 21:02 »
[quote www.iltisteile.com]
i advice you to take the bombardier radiator, it holds almost 2l more liquid
also the additional (diesel) oilcooler with fan is a good add-on (but hard to get, almost no diesels are stripped for pieces)[/quote]

Yepp, you should use the radiator from the Bombardiers or TD Iltis'. They are a lot bigger. Have not driven the Iltis through the desert but through the alsp with an AAZ and the big radiator. The original oil cooler from the TD was not mointed but we sure had an eye on the oil temp gauge. If you have access to a good sorted wreck yard you might find from Audi 80 D/TD/TDI that fit to rebuild it. The cooler used in the TD Iltis is nearly identical to the oildcooler from the Audi TT (first generation) gearbox. You will need an electrical fan for this one.

cheers,
Marc
----8<-----

VW183-01 1.9TDi, Bj1982
U404.013, BJ1974