➤ Hat jeder mal: Das Tannenbaumsyndrom

Autor Thema: Woo, yeah!  (Gelesen 3094 mal)

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
Woo, yeah!
« am: 20. Januar 2011, 22:24 »
Had a couple of spare hours and I've finally managed to get my project running.

This is the first time it's moved under it's own steam.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/tee3T3/?action=view¤t=MOV_0062.mp4&ref=nf

We just moved house, and we have paperwork everywhere but I've just been digging and I've managed to find my Fahrzeug-Identitats-Urkunde to prove the vehciles age, tomorrow I will drop it in at the test centre and see if we can get a MOT on it (Mot = Ministry Of Transport, a annual test of the vehicles roadworthyness)
Once I have a MOT I can then try and register the vehicle in the UK, as this Iltis has no paperwork I have to treat it as a personal import.
I've had lots of fun with old Diesel pumps! I'm on my 3rd at the moment!
It sounds like the cardan shaft may need attention, we have a rhythmical "clunk" under acceleration.
From what I gather the Iltis has not been used since it left the German tank training ground in Wales in 1996!!
I'm expecting a few "issues"
Oh, and the brakes are terrible!! the hand brake is even worse!!
:)

Offline Housil

• Globaler Moderator
Re: Woo, yeah!
« Antwort #1 am: 20. Januar 2011, 22:30 »
Great! It runs like a sewing machine (German compliment)
Gruß
Olli

Offline Snoop

• Globaler Moderator
« Antwort #2 am: 21. Januar 2011, 17:43 »
OK, Headlights need to be adjusted!!! ;)  ;)  ;)

Great job, Baxter, glad to see that one more Iltis is back on the road.
Keep it runing.

As I can see you are a big fan of nice german engineering.
-Eibach
-H&R
-Bilstein
-Volkswagen
etc...

But what the hell is the language you guys are talking??? ;)

Keep my fingers crossed for your MOT

Offline D.Thilo

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #3 am: 21. Januar 2011, 20:13 »
Hi Baxter,

great job !!!

What an amazing sound !!! (I hope the sleeping neighbours enjoyed it :-))

I wish you good luck for the paperwork.

Best regards

D.Thilo

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #4 am: 21. Januar 2011, 22:17 »
Well, it passed it's test!
:)

language? that's the queens English that is!
:lol

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, Stong in't arm, thick in't 'ed.

If you understand that I will send you a mint ritter sport through the post!

-Fuel guage now works.
-Horn is now behaving itself.
-Cooling system now water tight (finally)

Headlamps have masks fitted, it's quiet legal here, plus I cannot buy RHD iltis headlamps! they do not exsist.
I can buy Polo headlamps but they have the rubbish old headlamp bulbs, not H4.
So, i have bought some adapters for the bulb. i will eventually fit right hand drive headlamps, fit the adapters so i can use H4 headlamp bulbs.
A rear fog light here is compulsary since 1980, luckily in all the boxes that came with the Iltis there was one with it, a nice metal military hella one, just the part!
I will add some pictures shortly.
Cheers for the kind words.

Offline chrislb

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #5 am: 22. Januar 2011, 14:42 »
[quote Baxter]
... Polo headlamps but they have the rubbish old headlamp bulbs, not H4.
So, i have bought some adapters for the bulb. i will eventually fit right hand drive headlamps, fit the adapters so i can use H4 headlamp bulbs.[/quote]
H4 bulbs with the old Bilux fitting do exist, especially made for classis cars, have the right geometry (TÜV-proof, which means: legal in Germany; should be MOT-proof too). By Bosch, Osram, Tungsram etc.

Some (very few) headlamps glasses are not H4-compatible.

[quote Baxter]
A rear fog light here is compulsary since 1980, luckily in all the boxes that came with the Iltis there was one with it, a nice metal military hella one, just the part![/quote]
Was also compulsory in Belgium, all Bombardiers I have seen do have one. Should be available from Tobias Drechsler with his good Belgian relations - should you need another one!

[quote Baxter]
I will add some pictures shortly.
Cheers for the kind words.[/quote]
Please, some pictures! One picture says more than one thousand words. Be assured of my admiration.
Christian (chris-lb)
Dieses Leben ist zu kurz um nur Golf zu fahren ;-))

Offline Snoop

• Globaler Moderator
« Antwort #6 am: 22. Januar 2011, 18:55 »
[quote Baxter]Well, it passed it's test!
:)[/quote]

Hey, good news! Congratulation

[quote Baxter]
language? that's the queens English that is!
:lol

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, Stong in't arm, thick in't 'ed.

If you understand that I will send you a mint ritter sport through the post![/quote]

I think I understand almost ninety % but "thick in't 'ed" is not in my vocabulary.
So no Ritter Sport Chocolate for me...

[quote Baxter]
Headlamps have masks fitted, it's quiet legal here, plus I cannot buy RHD iltis headlamps! they do not exsist.
I can buy Polo headlamps but they have the rubbish old headlamp bulbs, not H4.
So, i have bought some adapters for the bulb. i will eventually fit right hand drive headlamps, fit the adapters so i can use H4 headlamp bulbs.
[/quote]

Another reason for you to move to Germany.
All your favorite brands, including your favorite chocolate brand, are here
and you don't need to change the head-lights of the Iltis.
Most important reason: You will drive on the right side of the street and you can not grap chicks butt on the sidewalk while driving. ;)

Offline Lillifee

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #7 am: 22. Januar 2011, 20:41 »
Hi Baxter,
[quote Baxter]Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, Stong in't arm, thick in't 'ed.[/quote]

Ihr DROPt doch wie's aussieht nach Belieben LETTERS - As far as I know: Manch****r bred = long in the arms, short in the head?
But I really have to agree with Snoop: Your communication is miraculous ;).
Good job so far with the Iltis - Keep it up!

Your Royal Highness
Princess Lillifee

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #8 am: 23. Januar 2011, 00:25 »
Long in the arms would mean neaderthal like, short in the head, much the same.
Knuckle draggers!

The UK is full of different dialects, I did 2 winter seasons in Chamonix, France, when I returned home my friends commented on how my voice had changed, it had to!
Not only did people from other countires not understand me, people from my won country too!
I live in Yorkshire, our accent is quite "broad", I should imagine it's pretty much the same wherever you go? I'm sure you can tell where someone is from from the way they speak?

yes, I like German brands, there is a reason why the UK has no car industry left, frankly were rubbish at it!
I know with most German brands I can buy it, it will fit and work and it will last, I have built a business on selling expensive spare parts as everyone in the UK is sick of buying poor quality T3 parts that don't fit or last. I simply do not get warranty returned items.

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #9 am: 23. Januar 2011, 00:48 »

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #10 am: 23. Januar 2011, 00:54 »
I know it's not pretty, I was more concerned with getting it legal before I spent loads of time and money on the body.
I have a hood and doors for it, but the hood is very tight, seems like it has shrunk, and the doors have been camoflaged, the drivers door zip is split and wont repair, ideal I want 4 olive doors and a olive hood, the hood bag is also missing for the bonnet, I'll sort these in time.
I also put some Polo 3 front seats in, they came from a right hand drive Polo, so the height adjustment is on the correct side!
Sorry about the location of the pictures, thats my new unit next door, not finished yet, it's just a dumping ground for all the things I don't want in my workshop, and the funny yellow colour comes from the old sodium lighing in there. The building was a dye house used for dying cloth from the mid 1800's

Offline Snoop

• Globaler Moderator
« Antwort #11 am: 23. Januar 2011, 06:53 »
I like the black front of your Iltis.
It makes it look bad or angry, really cool.

Did you know the meaning of "FELDJÄGER" ?
It means "Military Police".

The roll-over-protection-bar says, that this Iltis used to be a Ambulance-car.
The body is model 1981, I guess.

Offline chrislb

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #12 am: 23. Januar 2011, 07:49 »
Oh,
what about the collision of the rear fog light and the tow bar?
From the photographs I get the impression that it will be impossible to put anything on the towbar.
I've got a similar problem since I want to install a 'Rückfahrscheinwerfer'(what's the correct english term for the white rear lamp? Reversing light?) next to my rear fog lamp.
Christian (chris-lb)
Dieses Leben ist zu kurz um nur Golf zu fahren ;-))

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #13 am: 23. Januar 2011, 23:20 »
@Chrislb.
Fog lamp - towbar, no problem, I have no intention in fitting a towbar!
That one was easy!
yes, they are called "reversing lights" in English, great thing about the fog lamp, I can use that to reverse, it's really bright!

@snoop.
Yeah, I know what Feldjaeger is, what do you think the first thing I googled when I saw it listed on e-bay? :)
yes, it's a '81, left factory as a standard 183 311 nothing special.
I spoke with Uwe, he says it's early history is unknown but it turns up in the 90's in the Feldjaegerbatallion.
At some point it has come to the UK to the castle martin tank training range where the Germans were stationed, when they left in 1996 it was left behind.
Story goes that there were 12 left here, 10 good ones and 2 scrap. One man bought them all and sold them on, 2 were used for parts for the others.
That is what the "CM" means after the tactical marking, CM = Castle martin.

The bonnet has a big red cross under the paint, and the rear panel, and rear 1/4 panels also have red crosses painted over.
there is a sticker (decorfolien?) on the dash board that makes referance to a medic vehicle.
I cannot see an body modifications for carrying a stretcher though?

Tell me, how can you tell it was a medic vehicle from the roll over bar?

I presume the Iltis had a rotating light fitted as it has 2 holes in the lower left hand wheel arch and a hole in the wiring grommet where the wiring must have travelled.
I also had a extra hole near the light switch, and I had a loose wire dangling under the dashboard that went to the horn relay, I presume it was wired to a switch? unsure, the wire was white with green trace.

Second gear crunches a little :( I have already put fresh oil in the gearbox :(

I also need to identify the prop shaft joints and boots as there is lots of noise from the rear one, or I may just send it to my new best friends at GKN as they can't seem to do enough for me at the moment!

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #14 am: 23. Januar 2011, 23:38 »
Ahah!
Sorry, I had to look at ETKA, I see there is a different rollover bar for first aid vehciles!
As I understand it, the rear bars are round on normal versions but flat on first aid vehicles?
There is nothing listed on the M codes, I wonder if it was converted at some point in it's life?
Hmm.
Y-230 137 was it's original number.