➤ Im Gelände zuhause

Autor Thema: Handbrake relay lever orientation?  (Gelesen 1324 mal)

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
Handbrake relay lever orientation?
« am: 25. Januar 2011, 22:58 »
Okay, today I had a look underneath to see why my handbrake lever only moves 2 notches and why the handbrake is very poor!
It seems the relay levers are assembled badly, and the ends of the cables are hitting each other when the hand brake is applied.
Access is very poor, I just wondered if anyone had any neat tricks or pictures to show how they are meant to go together?
I could work it out, but I don't want to waste hours tring them different ways as I don't have 3 elbows on one arm!!

Offline Snoop

• Globaler Moderator
Re: Handbrake relay lever orientation?
« Antwort #1 am: 26. Januar 2011, 19:02 »
Hi Simon,

please take some pictures of the spots you are writing about, so it is much easier to declare your problem.
There is a balancing-bar underneth the seats and a reversing lever in the rear axle area.

First of all you should take a closer look at the rear brakes.
Removing the drum is easy.
First adjust the brake-pads to "loosen" while turning the adjusting bolts ccw (metric wrench 14mm)
Press brake drum off by screwing 3 metric bolts M8 uniformly in the 3 threads of the drum.
Check the pads and the proper installed position of the handbrake-cable inside the brake.

Do you have the VW manuals ?
The chapter "Fahrwerk" shows some good pictures.

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #2 am: 26. Januar 2011, 22:39 »
Sorted today.
It was the part by the axle, I was busy so I gave my apprentice a task.
The levers were just on wrong, it was quickly fixed and now we have an amazing hand brake.
I took the opertunity to re-adjust the front brakes while it was on the ramp as they have now settled on it's journey to the test station, the adjustment was poor so with fresh adjustment to brakes are really quite surprising!
All fixed, thanks.

Offline chrislb

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #3 am: 27. Januar 2011, 13:42 »
Baxter,
still looking for disc brakes? ;-))
Christian (chris-lb)
Dieses Leben ist zu kurz um nur Golf zu fahren ;-))

Offline Baxter

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #4 am: 27. Januar 2011, 22:56 »
I've spent enough money for the moment!
I don't even know if I can keep it yet!
It will be something for the future, I don't mind the repairs at the moment as it's nice for me to learn about something other than T3, T4 etc but once it's on the road I want it to work and keep working with the minimum of fuss!
I hardly have time to do the service on our works T4, silly jobs like adjusting brakes I dislike as it feels like such a waste of time.
I threw away the petrol engine and replaced it with a Diesel, I just think adding disc brakes will bring it up to date a little, make it stop better.
I have a rear disc brake conversion on my T3 Westfalia Atlantic, I'm not convinced of the benefits of rear discs, they do not do as much work and you end up with a hand brake which is worse, I am a strong beliver in disc/drum set ups.
I have replaced the rubber flexible brake hoses with stainless steel braided teflon hoses which is something I have done with all my cars.
I was just trying to get some info on the good points and bad, and if anyone had the brackets for sale, or even the drawings and what parts to use.