➤ Produziert von 1978 – 1988

Autor Thema: VW Iltis gasoline starts but dies  (Gelesen 2678 mal)

Offline jrgen20

• Iltisfahrer
VW Iltis gasoline starts but dies
« am: 09. August 2023, 22:45 »
Hello!
First of all i apologize for writing in english because the following text is too difficult for me to write in german.
So, i made a few joy rides a few days ago and the car started to stutter and had lack of power until i was barely able to park it home. First i thought it ran out of gas so i left it like that.
Next day i checked the tank and it was half full. Tried to start but nothing, not even a promise. Changed the spark plugs, gave it some brake cleaner and it started but died 10sec later. Then started by its own fuel and same thing. With choke ran about 10sec, without about 30sec. Tried giving it some gas died immediately.
The only thing i changed before the problems was the entire exhaust pipe system (bought the original repros from belgium).

So far what have i done:
1. cleaned the carburettor again and checked for any faulty parts - seemed ok
2. checked all the vacuum lines - all ok
3. checked the timing - ok
4. distributor seemed also ok, no burn marks
5. changed carb settings but nothing
6. I have civilian spark plug system, spark is strong and nice

Sometimes it lets me hit the throttle for about 15 sec and dies. The other time i let go of the gas dies. Have run out of ideas what to check and what to do. Maybe someone has had similar issues and can suggest what to do or is there something in the carb i missed to check.
Unfortuantely i do not have a lot of spare parts to switch with the ones installed and do not even know if they are ok.

Greetings

Offline landybehr

• Iltisfahrer
Re: VW Iltis gasoline starts but dies
« Antwort #1 am: 10. August 2023, 07:49 »
Hi,
Just a guess: you next need to check the fuel pump, resp. enough fuel is getting to the carburator.

Offline jrgen20

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #2 am: 10. August 2023, 08:17 »
Checked. Pump works fine. Pulled the hose from the carb and gas is coming thru with good pressure

Offline herbert2176

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #3 am: 10. August 2023, 09:17 »
the idle shutoff valve works?

Offline jrgen20

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #4 am: 10. August 2023, 19:58 »
Seems that the carb is working. Pulled all four sppark plugs out today because a gut feeling told me to check the spark on all four together. Very inconsistent. When the spark is there, its strong but most of the time the sparks are missing. Seems to me that either the distributor or the TSZ? The coil and all the cables were ok and fitted nicely to the parameters.

Offline jrgen20

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #5 am: 14. August 2023, 20:52 »
Little update. Checked all the wiring except for the spark plug cables and seemed fine. The H resistors and the interference filter also ok. Pulled the 5th cable from the distributor, placed near ground and cranked. Very strong pulsating spark. Tried several times and works. That means the TZG is ok? Measured the voltage from the TZG to the distributor and got about 0.5-0.6V So the signal must also be ok? Put the 5th cable back on and only got 2 sparks on the first cylinder after several tries which were nice and strong.
In my opinion the fault is still in the distributor. The finger is aftermarket with the rev limiter and having done some research, it needs to be 5kohm. Mine is 1.06. Points are all nice and shiny. Any suggestions whats next?

Offline jrgen20

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #6 am: 15. August 2023, 20:41 »
Got it running. Took the time and checked the timing markings on the pulleys and curiously only the distributor mark was off. Got it set, fired up rough. Turned the distributor counterclockwise as far as i could and got better. Seems like it needs a little more turning but the sensor socket is in the way. Anybody ideas?

Offline Wäller

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #7 am: 18. August 2023, 08:23 »
Hi!

I think the timing belt jumped. Please check that carefully.
Gruß Dieter

Iltispilot

Offline Burn4

• Administrator
« Antwort #8 am: 21. August 2023, 15:05 »
the idle shutoff valve works?
If not, the motor will works with the choke!!!
Burn

Offline jrgen20

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #9 am: 30. August 2023, 07:24 »
Finally got it running. Redid the timing belt but it was curious that the crank and camshaft marks were right but the distributor mark was jumped. Set the timing again fired up. Recalibrated the distributor to get enough adjustment play and worked just fine. Now bought the strobe light to check the timing and set it to about 5-6 degrees and runs beautifully.

Offline Wäller

• Iltisfahrer
« Antwort #10 am: 30. August 2023, 09:16 »
It could actually only be the timing belt. I've had that before too. I'm glad that your polecat is running again.
Gruß Dieter

Iltispilot